Friday, December 27, 2013

FAREWELL TO THE KING (1989)

To this day, I have yet to see the film FAREWELL TO THE KING itself, but the score and this album will always be associated with the day of my high school graduation. By 1991, I had become accustomed to purchasing soundtracks to movies I had never seen, instead following specific composers or genres.  Composer Basil Poledouris immediately made it to my short list with his music for the original two CONAN films, ROBOCOP and THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER, the cassettes of these becoming well-worn in no time at all.   Hence, when I ran across the album of Poledouris's music from this film, it seemed a perfect companion piece in style and tone to those earlier, lush and exciting orchestral scores.

My graduation from high school fell on a bright Friday in June and its celebration continued throughout the night and wrapping up the following morning, as I drove home several of my friends.  I was never stressed or concerned at all about graduating.  I was ready to move forward in my life, finally venturing into the next great chapter, even though the last two years of high school had been the most memorable across my entire educational existence at that point. 

That morning, my older sister Erin presented me with a gift certificate to our aforementioned local record store, a very thoughtful present and I made swift use of it.  I had no information on this score or film whatsoever, unlike what I learned from my movie magazines about science fiction, fantasy and horror genre films.  FAREWELL TO THE KING appeared to be a war time period piece, based on the title, the cover art and track titles such as "The Battle Montage", "Imperialist Waltz" and "The War is Over".  Basil Poledouris's previous scores were rich, melodic and bold, so it was worth a chance to grab this album. 

Once back home, I immediately made a cassette copy of the CD, using my father's stereo equipment.  He had a 6-CD changer, alongside his turntable, dual cassette deck, tuner and reel-to-reel machine, so it was always a treat to record with his setup.  Extreme care was required, as my dad took great pride in his tech audio jungle.  If you can imagine it, that same turntable of his is still in my care, now newly repaired, refurbished and ready to rock out some vinyl.

Once the album was recorded to cassette, I was able to get dressed and ready for graduation.  In my robes, I also hid a book I was reading.  Who knows, maybe I thought boredom would set in while waiting through 400+ names being called?  If I recall correctly, I might have done a little dance on my way across the stage, when my name was called.  Due to my roles in the high school musicals, I was bit more inclined to theatricality when in groups, a behavior which in hindsight just seems annoying.  Maybe that's simply called "being a teenager". 

Once the ceremony wrapped up, all the various cliques and groups scattered for their own respective after parties.  Those of us in drama and band clubs convened at Jeff Dale's house for an all-nighter of good, clean fun.  I don't think there was one drop of alcohol present at our bash, oddly enough even for theater geeks.  Hopefully, our parents beamed with pride somewhere, although now most of us probably can't imagine any worthwhile gathering lacking in such mixed spirits.

I remember the night progressed swiftly, fatigue never set in and it was a perfectly uproarious and glorious end to my high school career.  Those in attendance I had grown close to through our various theater and choir classes and productions, but I think we all felt eager to blossom beyond this time and place.  With the emerging morning sun, we eventually dispersed, migrating our way through the midst of broad smiles, hugs and tears.  All that day I had borrowed my dad's forest green Ford LTD and offered rides to several friends who also lived in my neighborhood.  FAREWELL TO THE KING still played on cassette as I navigated the still, empty winding roads, that glinting dawn shimmer on the horizon playing perfect counterpoint to the soaring strings and horns of this score.  The closing tracks, "This Day Forth" and "Farewell to My King", will always remind me of that day, those friends and that magical moment between the close of one part of life and the opening of the next.







3 comments:

  1. To this day, I own a copy of the Hunt for Red October score because of your recommendation and it is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's excellent, Linh! You should check out the expanded album release of the RED OCTOBER score from Intrada Records!

    ReplyDelete