Monday, January 20, 2014

THE TRANSFORMERS: THE MOVIE (1986)

The Transformers pretty much ruled my life from 1984 until 1988.  I habitually watched and recorded the animated series, bought and read the Marvel comic book series and of course, collected the action figures, eventually topping at around fifty, with an even number of both heroic Autobots and evil Decepticons.  I drew my own versions of the characters on any blank piece of paper within reach and played out serialized, months-long storylines with the figures.  Sadly, while the steel-trap portions of my memory should have been smartly reserved for 8th grade French class, it instead decided to store all names and likenesses of cool transforming robots.  To this very day, I can still pick Grimlock, Perceptor, Megatron and Shockwave out of a line-up.  Vous maudissent, Optimus Prime!

The year following 1983's RETURN OF THE JEDI was still dominated by the STAR WARS universe for me.  Yet in September 1984, I caught the initial three-part mini-series of THE TRANSFORMERS and its combination of science fiction setting, fluid animation, marvelous voice acting, distinct characters and bold orchestral underscore really grabbed my attention and filled that imagination void left by the departure of the STAR WARS films.   I know it confused my parents, as it seemed this was not quite something the whole family could enjoy together.  And before you ask, no, I had no love or interest for the competing series of transforming robots, the Go-bots.  Rentrer à la maison, Go-bots!



I sometimes wondered why I wasn't more of a He-man or G.I. Joe kind of kid, since those brands also dominated the mid-1980's.   I mean, those action figures certainly lived alongside my Transformers, but they didn't quite maintain the same level of fascination for me.  If a quick diagnosis is required, I believe the idea of changing shape appealed to me, especially converting into a machine that could fly.  Flying dreams have long been a mainstay of my sleeping life.  In addition, these living machines were tough, able to withstand more punishment than basic flesh & blood.  In those school days of long hallways, prevalent bullies and bruises accompanying me and my books back home, I know I wished for a sturdy hide of metal and maybe even missile launchers hidden in my wrists.

One of my favorite Transformers-centric childhood memories involves my dad, actually. We were part of a group of fathers and sons gathered together for a weekend camping excursion, probably around Spring 1985. Unfortunately, an endless gray downpour forced us all into our respective cabins.  As sheets of rain pummeled our campsite, my dad, completely and utterly bored, grabbed the first six issues of THE TRANSFORMERS comic book series from my backpack and read them all cover to cover.  I had brought the comic books along with me to revisit during down time on the trip.  I was ecstatic, as it felt like complete validation from him for something that I discovered and really liked.  The next day he even joked with me about it, referring to plot points in one issue, the same way two best friends of the same age would share a laugh and a knowing grin.  His assessment of my hobbies and interests mattered greatly to me, a stamp of approval broadcasting that my time and energy wasn't being wasted.  It's not uncommon that sons often require their father's sanction, sometimes for much of their lives, with luck communicated by a wide, kind smile and warm hand on the shoulder.  It's something I really miss.


In Summer 1986, ads began running for this grand animated adventure, set to premiere that August. Seeing the movie itself in theaters was a special experience, not only because it didn't garner much of a wide release, but mainly because my younger sister Meri was there alongside me.   Giddy and prepped to dive into this theatrical experience, we felt like a sibling version of Butch and Sundance, just with fewer bank robberies and almost no showers of bullets.  It wasn't often that we were deposited at the movies by ourselves in those days, except in Summer 1984 when Meri and I were allowed to see GHOSTBUSTERS, so as to have at least one popular topic of conversation at school that Fall.   I'm pretty sure that it didn't boost my confidence level far past the point where I could even attempt an opening salvo of "Hi, my name is...".

Regardless, my mom, realizing the significance of this particular event to both myself and Meri, ferried us to the mall and we settled in for the trans-formative experience... ahem, sorry about the pun. The movie was positively earth-shaking for us both.  Favorite characters died painfully and dramatically, new ones were introduced without fanfare and the narrative landscape of the series become more complicated.  I still adore it, but admittedly this is a movie that probably only a Transformers fan could love, akin to how only fans of the TV series "Twin Peaks" can truly appreciate the film based on it, FIRE WALK WITH ME.

As for the music, one commercial had specifically mentioned the upcoming soundtrack album and I was overjoyed, mistakenly believing it to showcase the orchestral tracks from the television series, composed by Johnny Douglas and Rob Walsh.  Imagine my surprise when upon sitting in the theater, I was struck by a score so diametrically opposed to what was heard in the television show. This music pulsated and throbbed with electronic grooves, pounding drums, searing guitars, keyboards and a propulsive rock backbeat. And shockingly enough, I immediately dug it.
 
Vince DiCola's varied, thematic instrumental score shared the soundtrack with rock and heavy metal tunes, in a similar style to very popular 80's tunes by "hair metal" bands such as R.A.T.T., Poison and AC/DC. Interestingly enough, my Dad wound up using one of the two more "inspirational" songs in a Y.M.C.A. promotional video that he proudly screened for me. Specifically, this was "Dare", performed by Stan Bush. It was a complete surprise to me, as he never mentioned it beforehand and he must have discreetly borrowed my cassette copy of the soundtrack, knowing that I played it constantly.  To this day, I really have no idea how the use of that song came about. He was the executive director of the Durham, NC Y.M.C.A. and therefore, I assume, could choose any music he wanted for their promos, but it still amazed me that he selected a song from this specific album.  I don't recall if I ever said thanks for that, but if I didn't... well, that means I was a jerk as a teen-ager, but more sincerely, thanks, Dad, that was a pretty special treat for me.

Would all this music now be considered dated?  Probably.  Do I still love listening to it?  Hell yes.  Does the movie also include the song "The Touch", later made famous by its use in BOOGIE NIGHTS, performed by Mark Wahlberg?  Double hell yes. 

Below is the music video of "The Touch", as performed by Stan Bush, which I watched repeatedly during August 1986:






2 comments:

  1. Brian, I've been enjoying each update so much! You have a really amazing talent for taking a topic I knew little about and infusing it with so much passion and enthusiasm that I find myself want to know more. You're a natural educator!

    I also love how much of yourself you bring to each entry. It really gives me a feel for what your childhood was like (and makes me even more wistful that our families didn't live near each other!). I especially love reading your memories of Uncle Johnny. My mom's coming to visit in February; when she does, I'll make sure I share these with her.

    Keep the good writing coming, cuz!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much for those nice words, Molly, and for reading my blog! I like to think my time on a helpdesk and now onsite software training for 7 years has helped with that skill. I wanted to make each entry personal, so it wasn't just a review type of site, plus it helps me simply get some of these memories "down on paper", so to speak! Absolutely share these with Gwen, tell her I enjoy card she writes and that I am the worst communicator, but one of these days I will write back to her!

    ReplyDelete